Session: Designing for Chaos: The design process behind Olivero
Olivero is a core initiative to create a new default theme for Drupal 9. Designing a core theme presents unique challenges as compared to designing traditional websites.
This talk will tell the story of what it’s like to design a theme for an open source content management system (CMS) and will answer questions like:
- What is Olivero, and why did we create it?
- What are the challenges of designing for an open source community made up of thousands of stakeholders?
- What compromises were made to make the design accessible?
- What are the challenges of designing for a CMS that will be used for a wide variety of sites?
- What approaches and methods did we use to do this successfully?
Throughout this session, we’ll walk through real-world methods and processes. We’ll discuss each stage, from the first conceptual “zoom mocks” to the various ideas along the way that never saw the light of day!