Session: Pressure and Privilege: When You’re the Only One in the Room
Think back over your career. Have you ever been the only one in the room that looks like you? How did it make you feel?
These situations can be awkward and intimidating – especially in the workplace. But they also have the potential to build character, create a greater understanding and even drive better business results. And while you might be the only one in the room, you may discover that you’re not alone. Connecting with others who have similar experiences can be a source of strength and support.
Red Hatters Koren Townsend and Clarence Clayton will unpack that awkward and intimidating feeling and talk about their career journeys, challenges and triumphs as leaders in the IT organization and founders of one of Red Hat’s Diversity and Inclusion Communities, B.U.I.L.D. (Blacks United in Leadership and Diversity).
Some of the topics they will address include:
- How your personal background and history influence your perception of the world
- The importance of situational awareness
- Codeswitching. It’s a Thing.
- The pressure to do well and the risk of failure
- Understanding the privilege and responsibility that comes with “making it”
- How a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion can have a major impact on company culture